3/12/10

Recovery

As I'm sure many of you have noticed, we're shifting towards more metcons - much to Nils's delight. We obviously are not abandoning strength work, as it is the most essential tool in developing overall badassery. Still, we need to begin building our tolerance for multiple, long-duration metcons. Unfortunately, these kinds of workouts beat us down and tire us out. As I've preached from the beginning, proper recovery will be essential to give it your best day in and day out.

Over the next few days, I will be covering three vital aspects of recovery:

1) Sleep

2) Supplementation

3) Mobility i.e. Foam Rolling, Myofascial Release, Stretching, etc


Naturally, there are other things to consider as well, but I'll be focusing on these three for the time being, as I suspect many of you are seriously lacking in one - if not all - of them.

This is merely a precursor at the moment (Translation: I'm at the office, have work to do, and haven't had any coffee yet tonight), so I will leave you with the following article by Dan John, a renowned strength coach from Utah, the birthplace of yours truly...

Dan John's Ten Commandments of Recovery.

3 comments:

  1. excellent timing. i need a break. shall we say seven days? put Annie on hold for me; i want a redo on Helen. i will foam roll and lacrosse ball all week. i will yoga, i will massage, i will hot bath/cold shower, i will pound protein and potassium, i will return w/ vengeance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I took a week off last week, did yoga and got a massage. It was great. By the way, Primal isn't going to charge for yoga for a while still, so you guys should come to classes -- Mondays/Wednesdays at 8 p.m. (although next week Aly and I are both out of town, so start the week of March 22)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bad, Jess. I meant to post something about this but kept forgetting...

    ReplyDelete